Wfret?????

Just share stories or offer advice

Wfret?????

Postby folkfan » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:04 pm

I have heard of the program WFret that has a printable fret spacing guide for slotting.Smile Can anyone tell me how it works. Remember I'm not to up on computer stuff. I have heard about something called shareware, but have no idea how that works. Someone sent me a Zipped file once and I've never been able to figure out how to open it.Rolled Eye That's how bad it is.Razz Can anyone help. Play on. FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:53 am

OK, FF, I'll try to keep this down to computer words of one syllable or lessLOL! Got to www.mimf.com, go to the Links page. Search for "Jon Whitney" and select his "downloadable Windows fret calculator, in compressed ZIP format". If I remember rightly, when you download it, it automatically un-ZIPs and asks to be put in its own directory. When you open the program, the main window asks you to enter a VSL = Vibrating String Length - the distance from the inside of the nut to the inside of the bridge. You can specify it to the nearest .1" or 1mm. On the main screen you also specify Width (of fretboard), for printing the template. I use 50 (as in mm) and end up with a template about that wide, which I can Spray Mount to the fretboard for cutting. The template prints out in two strips on the same page that you cut out and butt together. Diatonic/chromatic and 1/2 frets or not are specified under Print Options or Properties or Setup or whatever it's called... "Number of frets" includes the 1/2 frets so you want to specify 18 frets if you're going to use 1/2 frets. The template will be a lot more accurate if you have a laser printer or a very fine line bubble/ink jet printer. I spray mount the template to the fretboard and put a reversed blade in my scroll saw so that I can watch the vibrating blade move into the marked line.
Last edited by KenH on Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:17 am

Hi Ken, I went to the web site, and saved wfret to my computer, but I can't open it. It's zipped(?) and I don't know how to open zipped files. What is shareware? and how do I get it? FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:06 pm

You just got shareware. LOL! "shareware" is any computer program that is freely shared, but not pirated, (sometimes for a $5-$20 fee) among users. Since WFRET is still zipped, that means you don't have WinZip or one of the other "unzipp-ers" on your computer. Go to www.pkware.com/download.html and click on bit where it says "Download Free 30 Day Trial" - since you really don't want to do a lot of un-zipping... That download will give you a version of the program PKZip which will work for 30 days. When you fire up PKZip, you'll want to find the part that asks what file to you want to un-zip, and point it at the WFret you downloaded. You'll be asked where you want to store the WFret program, and the best thing is to create a separate folder for it.
Last edited by KenH on Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:07 pm

Ken, Thanks for the attempted help, but anything that difficult to get into just isn't worth the effort.Rolled Eye I deleted wfret, and the unzipping program that I couldn't figure out for the life of me.Mad! I'm going to see if wfret is available on a disc and see about buying it. I hate things that tell you to go here and do that, all the while using language and terminology that I don't understand.Sneaky Thanks anyway,Smile Play on with or without wfret, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:49 am

Gee FF, sorry to hear that; why not ask Dave to give you a minor hand with Wfret? It's really not all that complicated...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:22 am

FF, The wfret zip file is only three files (a setup file - setup.exe, a setup.lst file, and the program file) which unzipped are about the same size as the zip. Send me an email address where you can receive at least a 3 MB file OR send me a snail mail address and I'll send you the unzipped files (on a CD if by snail mail) you can use. Please contact me off-list for this at jmstall@yahoo.com. There is also an Excel spreadsheet based fret calculator on the minf site. It is also zipped, but only one file. It is set up for chromatic frets, but could be fairly easily modified to work with a dulcimer or you could ignore the non-dulcimer frets. I've also got another fret calculator which is zipped and could likely unzip or package where you could use it. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:25 pm

Ken. Again thanks for all your help. I don't doubt that once I have a copy of Wfret that I can get into, I'll be able to run the program. It is just getting into it or unzipping it that proved to be my downfall. The unzipping program was more complex than anything I've ever installed on my computer. I even down loaded my dsl line with no problems including taking the computer tower apart to install the enternet card. Jakstall has made an offer I can't refuse, so one way or another I'll get Wfret. Play on FF. Jakstall, I'll email you later. Thanks. FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Making Dulcimers