Dul-Scioto Dul-ciBanjo Workshop

Don't forget to list them in the Clubs, Events, or Links areas.

Dul-Scioto Dul-ciBanjo Workshop

Postby Dennis DenHartog » Wed May 26, 2004 11:42 am

I will be doing a playing techniques workshop for all you banjimer and banj-mo pickers. If you don't have a banjo-dulcimer of some kind, but you've been thinking about it, you don't need to have a banjo dulcimer to take the workshop and learn the techniques. A regular old dulcimer will do. David Schnaufer showed me a couple of techniques when I only had a dulcimer to practice on and I practiced them until I got them down (and also got a huge blood blister on my thumb). It'll cover drop thumb (sort of a banjo 'roll'), frailing, some basic banjo-style strumming, and a fingerpicking style that Don Pedi described as sounding like a Roscoe Holcomb banjo picking style when he heard me do it.... now I gotta get out a Roscoe Holcomb CD and listen to! I forgot to do that til just now.
Last edited by Dennis DenHartog on Wed May 26, 2004 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis DenHartog
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Wed May 26, 2004 1:57 pm

Maybe I should send my banjimer along with Dave so he'd have one he could loan someone who wanted to do the workshop with a banjimer. Let me think about it. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Banjo-Mo workshop

Postby LarryHicks » Wed May 26, 2004 3:32 pm

I plan on being there Dennis! Will we be starting about 6:00 am and working until about dark? Seriously, what time will the workshops start? Tom lists the Saturday events starting at 8:00 am, but I think that may be just the time registration starts. Larry
LarryHicks

Postby missy » Wed May 26, 2004 4:59 pm

Larry - we're going to do this real "loosely". We'll all get together either Friday night and / or Saturday morning and talk about workshop(s) and open stage for the day. I'm figuring we're gonna use a white board and post - it - notes (aka Demming) and figure out from there who's responsible for what and when. Or we'll all just sit around and talk and jam!!!!!LOL! Missy
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Dennis DenHartog » Wed May 26, 2004 7:35 pm

I'm willing to see what other workshops there are, and when, that you all may want to be in. Then we might be able to work out a time to suit as many as possible that would like to be in the banjo-dulcimer workshop. That'd be great, FF. I'll let people use the new banj-mos I have with me as loaners for the workshop too, although the last time I was going to do that, they were all gone by the time of the workshop.... but that was a BIG festival!
Dennis DenHartog

Postby Tom » Thu May 27, 2004 7:46 am

As Missy says the schedule for Dul-Scioto is loosely packed. However, here is the tentative schedule: Friday, 6pm - 11pm Registration General welcome Jamming Vendors Saturday Registration till 2pm 8am: general meeting / workshop alignment Jamming: 9-11am, 3-5pm, 10-11pm Workshops: 9-12noon, 3-5pm, 6-7pm Open Mic: 1-3pm, 7-10pm Vendors: All day Sunday Hymn Sing: 9-11am Vendors: 9-12noon All of the above are subject to change based on participation and/or interest. Tom PS The weather forecast for Saturday looks good, so we'll hopefully be able to go outdoors if the cicadas permit.
Tom
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Thu May 27, 2004 8:42 am

I can see it now, all those dulcimers singing a buggy love song. This may be a new form of pest control. The cicadas will want to mate with the dulcimers, ignoring their own kind and become extinct. Go for it, Tom. and Play on. FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Dennis DenHartog » Thu May 27, 2004 9:48 am

Well, I got out some of my old time banjo CDs to listen to Roscoe Holcomb..... After listening to a bunch of his songs, it's definitely not a Roscoe Holcomb picking style that I do. He doesn't even pick the banjo much. But as I listened to examples of old-time banjo players & pickers, I realized that it's probable that Don Pedi has been exposed to Doc Boggs, since he's a real fan of old time, and just pulled up the wrong name. That particular picking style I do is more reminiscent of Doc Boggs than anyone else I have in my collection, although I didn't set out to emulate his style. I do listen to Doc Boggs cds a lot!. If I would throw a few strums in here and there, it would sound more like Doc Boggs. Anyway, if anyone thought they were going to learn a Roscoe Holcomb style on the dulci-banjo, I guess they're outa luck, I can't do that! That particular style sounds best in an open G, DGd tuning. After what someone, maybe Tom? observed about Cicadas homing in on dulcimers playing in G, maybe we should take at least that part of the workshop inside.EEK! BTW, if we might do some workshops, jamming outside, maybe we need to bring our own chairs or stools??
Last edited by Dennis DenHartog on Thu May 27, 2004 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis DenHartog

Return to Dulcimer Announcements