For the first time ever... Learning Cold Frosty Morning.

All strummers welcome!

For the first time ever... Learning Cold Frosty Morning.

Postby wild wood flower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:38 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wqjrTcYGiPw

Learning Cold Frosty Morning On Mountain Dulcimer

So I am starting a podcast series that will teach you one song per episode, I will still do my preformance videos but I will alternate beetween this podcast ( I will do a podcast every other week, and I will do a preformence episode every other week.)

The tuning I am in is D-A-dd capo 1.

You can find the tab for this song at.
http://bp3.blogger.com/_bcICaeYvo9I/R65 ... 9aIbG.jpeg

( Feel free to reccomend something, ask questions, or request a song to be taught. )

Slán.

-Wildwood Flower.
wild wood flower
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby PhilM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 am

That is very cool. Thanks for doing this! Got the tab printed and am going to work on the tune. Keep up the great work and thanks again!
PhilM

Postby mrjop1975 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 am

WWF

Thank you kindly for starting this. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and try out D-A-D tuning and get a capo, then try this out.

Oh, and finally hearing a voice to go with the wonderful playing!

Best from
mrjop1975
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Teaching pod casts seem like a great idea. I couldn't hear what you were saying though, but your playing seems to come through. Turned my volume all the way up and just couldn't catch your voice enough.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:04 pm

I love all the great ways people are coming up with to help others learn to play over the internet. It is so hard and frustrating trying to learn to play when you don't live near groups of people who play the dulcimer.

I especially like that you include where to get the tab for the song.

I too find it difficult to hear you when you talk sometimes.

It is a little bit distracting that we can't see your face. It is okay when you are just playing, but when you talk it seems weird not to see who is talking.

I like it though and I think it is a great idea. Keep going!!!
Bobbie

Postby kwl » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:15 pm

If you are serious about doing these teaching podcasts, I suggest that you try to get a small mixer and use two microphones; one for your voice and one for your instrument. I think you have a good idea and it is worth doing well.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby wild wood flower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

The reason why I don't show my face, is when I started youtubing, my parents said it was fine as long as I didn't show my face, so I have been trying as hard as I can not to show my face, but still be able to do my videos.

I will try to increase the quality of my next video, but right now I don't have the best microphone, so it might not be as good a sound quality right now.

Glad yall liked it, and I hope you enjoy the videos to come.
wild wood flower

Postby wild wood flower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:20 pm

kwl wrote:If you are serious about doing these teaching podcasts, I suggest that you try to get a small mixer and use two microphones; one for your voice and one for your instrument. I think you have a good idea and it is worth doing well.

I am considering getting some equipment such as that, but I probably won't be able to get anything for a little while. I also, am a little bit sick, and I am sure that effected the quality of audio a bit.
Thanks for the suggestion!
wild wood flower

Postby Bobbi Jean » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:52 pm

This is great!
I can hear you and understand you fine.
My problem is that it takes me forever to download. It's been downloading for more than an hour and I just have 4 minutes of it.

Does anyone have any idea how to save this on my computer so I don't have to download it everytime I want to listen to it? I usually save the YouTube videos that I like to my desktop. I have a bunch of them. But they have to download again everytime I listen to them.

Thanks for any help.

And thank you, Wildwood Flower, for doing this.
Bobbi Jean

Postby wild wood flower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm

mrjop1975 wrote:WWF

Thank you kindly for starting this. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and try out D-A-D tuning and get a capo, then try this out.

Oh, and finally hearing a voice to go with the wonderful playing!

Best from

D-A-D is a great tuning, I am sure you will like it. It took me a little bit to get used to the capo, but after a little bit, I was able to find it was really able to help me.

Thank you Bobbi Jean, I'm glad you liked it.
Fraid I don't have a answer to your downloading problemb, I want to get these instruction videos up on Itunes, and that should make it so that you will only have to download it once ( if you are able to download it from Itunes. Thanks once again.
wild wood flower

Postby sbhikes » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:40 pm

wild wood flower, I am curious. What made you take up the dulcimer? I ask because you're obviously young (you mentioned your parents) and you're really good at it. I'm just curious? Other guys your age pick up guitars. Why the duclimer?

Anyway, I enjoy your posts. Thank you.
sbhikes

Postby wild wood flower » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:59 pm

sbhikes wrote:wild wood flower, I am curious. What made you take up the dulcimer? I ask because you're obviously young (you mentioned your parents) and you're really good at it. I'm just curious? Other guys your age pick up guitars. Why the duclimer?

Anyway, I enjoy your posts. Thank you.

Well, I was learning the harmonica, and I was looking on ebay for one, and my mom called me over to her computer ( we were both looking for a harmonica) so I look at the screen and see a mountain dulcimer. The page had a little bit of history about the instrument, and I instanlty became intrested. Later that day I ordered my first dulcimer, and then I got another and another and another and so on and so forth.

For a while I wanted to play acoustic guitar, but then my sister got a guitar, and I tried it, but I couldn't get my left hand to play well on the guitar. Also, I didn't want to have to remember all those weird chords, and do harmony all the time. I didn't want to do electric guitar, because I always enjoyed the folk/country/irish side of music more then rock and other popular music styles.
I think another reason why I like the dulcimer a lot, is because when I was about 5 or so, I played the violin for about 5-6 years, and I enjoyed it ( never was that good though ) but people hated it if I changed anything with the song, and I was the type of person who enjoyed changing stuff with songs.

Thanks for watching the video, glad you enjoyed it!
wild wood flower

Next

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers