info on an older Folk Roots D-100S (Rugg and Jackel Music)

All strummers welcome!

info on an older Folk Roots D-100S (Rugg and Jackel Music)

Postby Rspreitzer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:32 pm

Hi everyone. I enjoy scouring the posts for information on dulcimers. I'm a guitar player and songwriter here in Charlotte, NC who has dabbled in duclimer in the past. I just picked up an older Folk Roots D-1005 (though I strongly suspect this is a D-100S) on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... T&rd=1 At under a $100, I thought it was simply too inexpensive to pass up. The previous owner estimated it to be about 14 years old. ANY INFORMATION, EXPERIENCES, KNOWLEDGE of these Folk Roots (especially the older models) would be GREATLY APPRECIATED (good, bad or mixed). Much thanks from Charlotte, NC Rick www.rickspreitzer.com
Rspreitzer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby missy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:32 pm

Rick - I have an all walnut Folk Roots (it was actually my first dulcimer) that has the model number D50 - serial number 119843. That serial number means it was number 119 for the year, and made in March of 1984. It's an hourglass with heart soundholes. I had a great sound for many years, but went "dead" about 5 years ago. Tom totally stripped it and refinished it, and it has somewhat come back to it's original voice. It WAS big and boomy, but not too bright. One caution with Folk Roots - the fret boards are LONG - the VSL is 29 inches. And it may not have a 6+ fret - I had to have one installed. I think I paid $125 for it new in 1984, but it had a ding in the side of it and the seller took some off because of that. Have fun with your purchase!
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

size/scale

Postby Rspreitzer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:47 pm

Missy Thanks for the info and the caution about size, scale and the possible absense of a 6 1/2 fret. I play guitar and am a long, lanky drink of a guy so the size of the dulcimer strikes me as a plus more than a problem. Re: the tone possibly being more warm than crisp, I think that also suits me. I tend to play chords and love using the bass strings of the dulcimers I've had before. I'm also considering getting a Yocky as I like what I read about their resonance. It seems like they are less warm/bassy but that might be a nice compliment to this Folk Roots. I imagine that it's just like guitars: you can't have too many and almost all of them have a beauty and voice all their own. Any more feedback, comments, experiences: good, bad or ugly... I'd love to hear them. My Folk Roots ought to be at my doorstep sometime late next week. thanks rick
Rspreitzer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Rick, sounds like you got a good deal! Those older Folkroots are nice instruments. The walnut is mellow, but with the spruce sound board may be a little brighter than an all walnut model. The "S" in the model number stands for spruce top. The instrument you purchased is pre-Folkcraft days and was made in California. I think I have an old brochure or review of the instrument around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it for you.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

I have a D-100S

Postby LarryHicks » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:19 pm

Rick, I have a D-100S that I bought new in 2001, but it may have been aging in the local music store for some time. Mine has a spruce top, and the body, I believe, is mahogany. The sound is very guitar-like, and it does have good volume. The 29.25 inch VSL does make it harder to play some chords. I'm sure you will enjoy yours. Larry
LarryHicks
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Rspreitzer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:16 am

Ken and Larry, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. If you find that brochure or review, I'd love to see it. I'll offer a more detailed description of mine once it arrives. thanks again rick
Rspreitzer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dranner63 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:39 pm

I have a FolkRoots with the numbers 04224401 d50 on it. It is about 13 yrs old. It was all I had ever known until I bought one from Harpmaker a few months ago. My FolkRoots MD is walnut hour glass. tho looking at the cross section of the back, it looks like the back may be a laminant???? The surface of the back is dark like the rest but it is lighter under the surface. It has a nice sound but the action is higher than my new one, and so harder to press down. It is very long compared to my new one. it came with a 6+ fret. I have a hard time putting a name on how instruments sound. It has a nice sound, but so does my harpmaker's MD. I bought mine at the Pickin' Parlor in the Twin Cities in the early nineties. It was the only one I had ever seen to buy and so I got it. I may have paid too much since I didn't do any research. I didn't have the internet and was limited that way. I paid $300 for it. here is a picture of it with my other instruments. Its on the left of the first picture. http://sio.midco.net/dranner63/instrume ... uments.htm Missy, you said the serial number tells you the date? I couldn't see that in mine (04224401 d50 ) could you interpet it? Deb
dranner63

Postby missy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Deb - my guess is that one of those "4" may be a "9" instead - so either 09224401 or 04229401. If it's following the numbering on mine, the last guess would put it number 422 made in Jan 1994. However, I'm not sure when Folkcraft bought and took over Folkroots. Whenever that occurred, the numbering system may have changed. You could contact Folkcraft and ask them.
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby dranner63 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Looking again...I am thinking you're right. So mine was born in '94 and is 11 yrs old, right. I was a few yrs off. then. thanks Missy Oh and one other thing that bothers me about it is the tuners. when i turn the tuner, nothing will happen and then it will go PING and the tuning moved more than I want it to. so i have to go back and forth to get it right. deb
Originally posted by missy Deb - my guess is that one of those "4" may be a "9" instead - so either 09224401 or 04229401. If it's following the numbering on mine, the last guess would put it number 422 made in Jan 1994. However, I'm not sure when Folkcraft bought and took over Folkroots. Whenever that occurred, the numbering system may have changed. You could contact Folkcraft and ask them.
dranner63

Postby Peter Alway » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:28 pm

My old Folk Roots dulcimer is Marked: D50S 1113782 Or is that: D505 //13782 or maybe: D50S 11/3782 I'm pretty sure I got it for Christmas in 1978, so I'm sure the 78 is the year, but beyond that I'm not sure. Anyway, she still has a good, strong, guitarish sound, but her fretboard is too long for my hands and I can't play chords on her anymore. And no 6 1/2 fret. She really is a lovely old instrument, but simply not suited to me, a fact that took me a quarter century to figure out. I confess I'm not 100% happy with the sound of my Ginger, but I love her ergonomics--fret pacing and action a so much more comfortable. And so the Folk Roots pretty much lives in her old Sally Rogers original bag. Actually, the action of the Folk Roots is nice for the bottom 10 frets, but it's awfully hard above that. But the big sound is wonderful.
Peter Alway
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Rspreitzer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:13 am

Did any of you with older Folk Roots have someone put in a 6 1/2 fret? If so, how much did it set you back? I'm looking into having someone here in Charlotte, NC do it once my dulcimer arrives. Also, do you all have any ideas re: string gage and tuning for this dulcimer? I used to enjoy playing in CCGC and I think it would work well with this deeper body. (I have a couple pairs of D'Addario J64 strings that are .012, .012, .014, .022W). I use them for the Clear Creek strolling dulcimer that I have/love. It's a fun instrument and being a guitar player, suits my mind-hand connectors just fine!) Check them out at http://members.designandservice.com/jimmys/index.htm. James and his father handmade me a pair of them (gave one to my guitar player/buddy as a gift) and they were very thoughtful throughout the whole process of making them. Thanks for any advice re: tuning and string gage.
Rspreitzer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:35 am

Originally posted by Rspreitzer Did any of you with older Folk Roots have someone put in a 6 1/2 fret? If so, how much did it set you back? I'm looking into having someone here in Charlotte, NC do it once my dulcimer arrives.
I had a 6+ fret added to a dulcimer earlier this year. Cost me $15 which seemed reasonable. It wasn't a on Folk Roots, but the process is the same on pretty much any dulcimer.

Next

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers