A very early Pennsylvania Scheitholt

Share tidbits of dulcimer history, or history of the songs we play on them

A very early Pennsylvania Scheitholt

Postby pristine2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 am

Ron Cook of Coog Instruments recently finished restoring a 19th century zither I picked up early this year. After carefully researching the instrument and labouring for weeks at something less than the minimum wage, he then prepared a booklet chronicalling the restoration step-by-step.

Both scheitholt and restoration booklet arrived last week at the home of Bill Howard, who quickly and kindly photographed both for the benefit of ED members:

Full booklet: http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... MENTATION/

Some photos ....

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Last edited by pristine2 on Wed May 06, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby razyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 am

Interesting, lotta work -- I don't do that much to my old ones, but it's certainly well done. The color matching alone is very impressive.

Is there some way to view the full album (posted by Bill Howard in Photobucket) as large, detailed photos, like the ones in your post? (And btw I've been asked not to post such images directly on this forum, they take forever to load for people whose Internet service is via modem.) But on Photobucket I'm seeing little images, in thumbnail resolution. Very hard to read the text... When I'm in my own Photobucket account, I get a choice of viewing sizes. I haven't spotted a place on this album to select alternative sizes. Possibly a senior issue; I just wonder.

Anyway, thanks for posting it.

Dick
razyn
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby pristine2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 am

Hi:

If you click on those little thumbnails they should open into larger, readable pages. Or you can right-click and "save target as" to your hard drive. They'll be JPEGS.

Best,
Richard
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby razyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:02 am

pristine2 wrote:If you click on those little thumbnails they should open into larger, readable pages.

Have you tried it yourself? I click on them and they do open larger, but nothing near the size or resolution of Bill's photos in your direct post here. More like 2 1/2 inches wide, 3 1/2 inches high, on my screen. At that size (for what was presumably an 8 1/2 by 11 original) the typed words are just barely readable.

And FWIW my computer is a Mac, so there is no "right-click" option. A click is a click. But if I were to drag this image to Desktop, or whatever, it would still be a compressed image, that would go all boxy and pixillated if I tried to enlarge it (Zoom In, etc.).

Seems to me, Photobucket only gives one the menu option to "View Full Size" when one is uploading -- not when one is viewing what's already there, even on one's own account. Am I wrong about this? I just now had the same issue when I was uploading a scan of the Ann Cobb dulcimer poem to the old thread about James Still, etc.

Dick
razyn

Postby pristine2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:26 am

Hmmm ... I see what you mean.

I downloaded the printed pages and read them comfortably in a photo viewer. That way you can view the text in any size you want. If you can download the photos --- dragging them over, on a Mac? -- the resolution should be adequate.

It is just scanned text, though, so it's blurry if you blow it up too large. If it doesn't work for you I can email you the scanned jpeg files. They're only 60k each or so.

Photobucket has changed their interface lately ... to something less useable, I think.

In any case Bill threw everything up in a hurry before he went off on a road trip. If these files are too blurry I can ask him to rescan at 600dpi.

Best,
Richard
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby razyn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Just for the record, Lisa started the thread about this instrument last spring; might as well link it here.

http://everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/v ... hp?t=15400

The seller's original eBay listing is no longer a functioning link, but last April he sent me a link to more photos he had posted in Snapfish, and as of today they are still up. I think this url should take you there. You have to be registered as a Snapfish user to view the "album" of 15 photos -- all of which are before the recent professional restoration.

http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=498112 ... /otsi=SALB

Dick
razyn

Postby pristine2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:14 pm

There's a really nice set of photos Bill took of the pre-restored instrument here:

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj19 ... 0DULCIMER/
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Bger » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 pm

BUT WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE!?
Enquiring ears want to know...
B
Bger
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Razyn - try Command-Click or Option-Click (can't remember which) to get PC right-mouse click options. Works too when you're opn the Internet and trying to copy a picture that won't allow a single click!
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Robin T » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Richard,
8)

Robin T
Robin T
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby pristine2 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:13 am

Bger wrote:BUT WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE!?
Enquiring ears want to know...
B

Alas it will be some time before I can describe it, as the instrument sits about 12,000 miles away from my current location. Hopefully Bill will get a chance to play it soon and give us a report.

Best,
Richard
pristine2
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to History of Dulcimers and Songs