Anne Grimes Book

Share tidbits of dulcimer history, or history of the songs we play on them

Re: Anne Grimes Book

Postby Slingerland » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks! A larger photo can be seen here:

http://www.hangoutstorage.com/banjohang ... 122010.jpg

I can't wait to get it playable. I am in Lakewood, Ohio, but bought it out of Denver, CO. The previous owner had it since 1972. In addition to the label on the inside stating "Ron Chacey, Athens, Ohio 1968", there is also a label that reads " Margaret Henninge, Worthington, Ohio, 1969" and also a label with the previous owner's info.

I wonder if Mr. Chacey can tell me more about Ms. Henninge?
Last edited by Slingerland on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slingerland
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Ron Chacey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm

The name rings a bell, but I never kept detailed notes on my customers. I believe that she was a friend of a friend. Sorry.
Ron
Ron Chacey
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Slingerland » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks, Mr. Chacey. Is this dulcimer late or early in your production? (it is marked 1968).

It is a wonderful looking dulcimer.
Slingerland
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby PTL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Just got this book from the library and it is so fantastic.

God bless - PTL

Postby Dulcimator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:38 pm

I got this book at the local library. Long story short, I found out that my wife's great-great-grandmother, Margaret O. Moody is mentioned and pictured twice in the book! With a little checking, I was able to find a sound file of her singing "Unconstant Lover," unaccompanied, which was included on a CD with a book printed by the Library Of Congress American Folklife Center.

While it has more than enough stuff to keep the dulcimer enthusiast interested, as a fan of traditional folk, with or without instrumentation, I found the book indispensible. It's a great resource for information about Ohio's substantial folk music history. Not only that, but you also get Pete Seeger, Bascom Lamar Lunsford and Bob Gibson on the CD, tracks you will only hear in the Anne Grimes Collection!

Somebody objected to the inclusion of "bawdy songs" in the book and CD, but songs like these are ingrained in folk music history, and are as worthy of preservation as any of the other sacred and secular songs of history. If we're going to gloss over the songs about S-E-X, we might as well excise all the murder ballads as well.
Dulcimator
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby madmaud » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm

I have a Ron Chacey dulcimer (1968) from my years at OU....& remember the bonfires & music at Kix's & out in the woods where Jim & Sylvia Garner lived. I wonder if Jim worked for or with Ron? I somehow thought he had a hand in making the dulcimer I have. Also, that Sylvia made the quilted bag it lives in. I was married to Logan Smith at the time. He did the logo & graphics for the early Stewart/MacDonald Mfg Co. Anyone else around from that period that might also have known Jim & Sylvia? I am having a little work done on my dulcimer...contemplating changing to screw pegs to stay in tune longer. Any thoughts on that? I am in FL now & just went to the Mt Dora Dulcimer festival last weekend so have renewed interest in all this. Thanks!
Joan
madmaud
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to History of Dulcimers and Songs