Instruments by Orvel Glen Dunkle

Share tidbits of dulcimer history, or history of the songs we play on them

Instruments by Orvel Glen Dunkle

Postby Dulcimator » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:47 pm

A couple years ago, I purchased an instrument in an antique shop. It had three strings and resembled a strumstick with a large tear-shaped body. A woodburned inscription inside said "Handcrafted by Orvel Glen Dunkle." Although it had all three strings, only one string was playable due to the bone saddle being broken with only one notch left intact. Anyway, I Googled Mr. Dunkle's name, and literally all I was able to find about him was his 2013 obituary, which stated he was from Barboursville, West Virginia, and made and sold dulcimers and guitars at the Chesapeake Flea Market. Just the other day, I had the saddle and strings replaced. It is now properly strung and is currently tuned DAD. AND I tracked down one of his daughters on Facebook. I am just wondering if anyone else is familiar with Dunkle's creations.
dunkle.jpg
Dulcimator
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Instruments by Orvel Glen Dunkle

Postby KenH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Nice looking "American Cittern" which is what that teardrop body and diatonic fretboard reminds me of. Sorry to never have heard of Mr. Dunkle...
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Re: Instruments by Orvel Glen Dunkle

Postby Dulcimator » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks, KenH! I looked up citterns and I can definitely see the resemblance. I'd almost call mine a "dulcittern." But now that I am in contact with the maker's family, perhaps I'll find out what Orvel called it!
Dulcimator
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to History of Dulcimers and Songs