Electric Pick up

Help for new mountain dulcimer players of all ages!

Electric Pick up

Postby Jossef » Thu May 15, 2003 4:18 pm

Anyone know where I can get an eletric pick up for a MD. I want to be able to plug it into a sound system at my church.
Jossef
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Thu May 15, 2003 4:30 pm

If you're looking for a pick-up that you can stick on your dulcimer, I recommend the Artist pick-up by Dean Markley. Check some of the Web sites like www.musiciansfriend.com and see if they have it. Depending on the sound system, you may need a pre-amp to get a good quality sound. I use the Artist on my dulcimers that don't have built in pick-ups. I use a LR Baggs Para-acoustic DI as a pre-amp and for connecting to an XLR input.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Pick-up or mic?

Postby Marc Mathieu » Thu May 15, 2003 11:30 pm

Good evening everyone !! This is one topic I've always wondered about. Is a pick-up better than a mic or vise versa ?? I always thought that a mic was sort of a "pain" since you needed the boom stand & the mic would get in the way of my strum, etc, I believed that an add-on pickup would be the "cat's meow" (not Harpmaker's cat though LOL! LOL! ) for practicality & sound, so I bid & won a "dulcimer pick-up on e-bay. It's about the size of a checkers piece & sticks on the instrument with a blue "sonic" !? putty. Maybe not the best system - I don't know Rolled Eye I tried sticking it on different parts on my different dulcimers & pretty well found the optimum sound location on each one. Maybe it's because it's not of high quality pick-up, but the sound coming out the amp just doesn't have the "ring" like the natural "sweet" sound of the dulcimer. I imagine the built-ins would have a better sound.Rolled Eye When I was in Collowhee last year, all the performers at the concerts were miced & it sounded like dulcimers should sound. I don't think I've seen any dulcimers with built-ins while I was there. I guess it because the mic picks up the sound projected through the air by the soundboard/soundhole which is the "true" sound & not a just a vibration xmitted to a piezo element. I'm now beginning to believe that the mic stand is not such a pain as I 1st thought it was. This is my opinion based on my theory. Am I right? I would like to hear other comments & experiences others have had with pick-ups. Rolled Eye
Marc Mathieu
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Fri May 16, 2003 9:19 am

I played at an outdoor arts festival. The sound technician insisted he knew the best place to put the microphone for my dulcimer, which wasn't where I wanted it. He placed it over the top near one of the soundholes. In the middle of my first song the microphone dropped right onto the top of my dulcimer. I replaced the mike, moved it over to side, just off the dulcimer top, where I wanted it in the first place. The sound was just fine and the technician didn't need to make much of an adjustment. After that I moved to the pick-up. I think a piezo pick-up needs both a pre-amp and some tweaking of the sound system to get a good dulcimer sound, but that little hassle is better than damaging your instrument.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Doug M » Fri May 16, 2003 10:40 pm

Jossef, I too wanted to plug into my church sound system. I went to Radio Shack and bought a lapal mic, an extention cord and an adaptor to plug into the sound board. The first time I just cliped the mic on my shirt just above the dulcimer and it worked good. I have been using a possom board or lap board that I made lately and I think that cliping the mic to the board will work better than cliping it to my shirt. I saw on this board earlier that someone had used a lapal mic and just stuck it in the sound hole. I tried it and did not like the sound.
Doug M
Member (51-100 posts)

Return to Mountain Dulcimer Beginner's Area