dutch hop music

Just hammerers

dutch hop music

Postby thecowgirl » Tue May 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Does anyone here play dutch hop style music with his/her dulcimer? That is really the style that interests me most, and that I would like to learn.
thecowgirl
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue May 16, 2006 10:58 pm

I have absolutely no idea what "dutch hop" music is. Can you enlighten me?
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jnday » Wed May 17, 2006 1:57 am

If it has no relation to "hip hop" then I'll probably like it! Can you point us to any samples of this style on the net?
jnday
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby TJ » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 am

Steve Eulberg in Colorado wrote an article about the Dutch Hop tradition a while ago. http://www.dulcimersessions.com/oct05/colorado.html It has links and resources, so you might be able to run some of them down. Where are you located, cowgirl? Dutch Hop is mostly in Colorado, so you might have a hard time actually hearing it live if you're far away, but I found lots of listings for Dutch Hop cassettes and LPs on http://www.Froogle.com . (I was reminded when I read the article that Steve owns a tiny travel chromatic which James Jones had made set up to my specs, one of three he built. Anyone who can appreciate such a strange little box gets a thumbs up from me! *laugh*) Cheers!
TJ
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Wed May 17, 2006 11:20 am

TJ, thanks for the links to the Dutch Hop tradition. I usually read the Dulcimer Sessions cover-to-cover so to speak, but somehow missed this article completely. Now I have a good understanding of what Dutch Hop music is.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Al Holman & the Polkatoons, Polka Nuts

Postby thecowgirl » Wed May 17, 2006 9:35 pm

Yes, Steve E's article gives a good example of Dutch Hop if you listen to the Wooden Heart clip on there. Two of my favorite Dutch Hop bands were Al Holman & the Polkatoons, and the Polka Nuts. Both are from Colorado. They featured hammered dulcimers. You can see Al Holman & the Polkatoons web site at http://hometown.aol.com/polkatoons/music.html If you go to http://www.polkacatalog.com/store.asp and type in Polka Nuts in the search box, it will bring up some of the Polka Nuts stuff available from that site. I am not sure if the band is still together. I currently live in Kansas, and I have heard these bands several times. I think they are two of the best Dutch Hop bands ever. I wonder what types of dulcimers those bands use... any ideas?
thecowgirl
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

hammers for this style

Postby thecowgirl » Fri May 19, 2006 8:02 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for particular hammers that might be good for the Dutch Hop style? Or would this sound come more from the actual dulcimer brand/style itself? Thanks!
thecowgirl
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby jnday » Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 am

The ones pictured on the web link that was offered above look like Dusty Strings single sided hammers. My guess is that the hammer type doesn't matter, but you'll want something that is easy for you to play fast with. A little weight in the head, but not too much. Try a few different ones. It's a matter of personal preference. As for the tone of the instrument, the one in the clip (also on that site) doesn't sound like anything unusual. Personally, for any kind of fast music, I wouldn't choose a dulcimer with long sustain.
jnday
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Mistydawn » Sat May 20, 2006 3:48 pm

That was an interesting article. Although I lived in Colorado for 11 years, I'd never heard of dulcimer Dutch Hop. I'm waiting for the sound clip to download... 41% there! Edit: Wow, he is good! Pretty music.
Last edited by Mistydawn on Sat May 20, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistydawn
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Heidi » Mon May 22, 2006 9:47 am

Originally posted by thecowgirl Does anyone have any suggestions for particular hammers that might be good for the Dutch Hop style? Or would this sound come more from the actual dulcimer brand/style itself? Thanks!
It's not the instrument or the hammers. It's the music and the performer. *!~ Shameless Dulcimer Club Promotion ~!* Steve Eulberg, who plays both dulcimers, will be giving a mini-concert followed by a workshop in Wilmette Illinois for the Dulcimer Society of Northern Illinois on March 11, 2007. Please join us if you're in the area.
Heidi
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby kwl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Randy, welcome to ED. I imagine you'll get a few questions you'll be able to answer. I hope you'll look at some of the other discussions here and join in. Good to have you aboard.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Patches » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Welcome Randy to ED,looking forward to learning from you and the rest of the ED guys here
Patches
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Next

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer