Cabin creek piano dulcimer

Just hammerers

Cabin creek piano dulcimer

Postby daver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 am

Hello! all just wanted to ask if anybody on the board has an opinion about 1. cabin creeks build quality,in
general..... and 2. does anyone own their 2 octave piano dulcimer?......The pictures look good on their site,
and the prices are great!.... BUT.? how good do they sound?..i'm sure the 2 octave range a bit limiting...
but would it be a good choice for a newbie who wants to learn chromatic...and can't afford the other models
which go for $600- 1000..? thanks dave.
daver
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Cabin creek piano dulcimer

Postby Dan Landrum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 am

Do you have any links to these dulcimers? I didn't know anyone else was making a piano dulcimer, other than Blanton/Rizzetta and Dusty Strings.
Dan Landrum
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

Attached below is a link I found for Cabin Creek Musical Instruments. If I lived near Whitetop, Virginia, I would love to visit Walter's shop.
Dave

http://cabincreekmusic.com/Hammered%20Dulcimers.htm
dholeton
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Dan Landrum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks Dave.

I just had a pleasant conversation with Walter. The 2 octave instruments he's building are indeed the Sam Rizzetta designed piano dulcimers. He has an agreement with Sam to build them. I'm going to try and swing by his shop sometime as I head up I-81. He's near Boone, NC.

I'm teaching, and playing, a lot of piano dulcimer these days. This might be a good student instrument, but I want to play and hear one before making any recommendations.

I recently bought the URL http://www.pianodulcimer.com. I cleared this with Sam R. and the Mooers at Dusty Strings. It seemed fair to talk to Walter about it too, hence the phone call. I'll stick in information only site up at that URL in the near future. The piano dulcimer opens up some really great options for those who already know how to play diatonic HD.

If you've never see one, here's a link.
Dan Landrum
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby mrchips » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:37 pm

While Ive never seen or heard one of these there is no way I could say they're good or not. That tuning setup is rare as far as Hds in the states go but if it its the same as the Dusty Strings PD series its quite logical. As there is no tuning chart judging solely by the pictures it appears to be the same. The prices look to be quite reasonable when you consider all hds are somewhat the same in construction. Granted, there are differences inside you cant see having to do with bracing, etc.

2 octaves could be considered limiting in some ways but it is still quite usable as most common music rarely exceeds 2 octaves. 3 or more octaves translates into a physically bigger HD but the smaller size could have some benefits such as a smaller size and lighter weight. If you consider these are around $150 an octave the prices are right in line with other Hds set up more like a piano instead of the common 5th octave diatonic setup. A 3 octave would be around $450 to $500 based on that bit of off the wall price scaling. Thats somewhat close to to the Dusty Strings PD30 if I remember correctly.

One thing about any tuning setup other than the diatonic one that should be considered is the issue of tutorial material available. I recall somewhere there is only one book available based on the "piano" tuning HD. If you play any other instrument and understand a bit of music theory thats not much of an issue as you will quickly figure out the tuning. If this is your first shot at playing anything that could be a big issue to consider.

Overall with a limited budget and the fact this guy isn't known like a number of other makers and you want to explore something other than the diatonic setup HD with the "added" notes to go chromatic I would venture to say this could be a good deal.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer