18th century french wedding music

Just hammerers

18th century french wedding music

Postby jimfrombliss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:24 pm

I volunteer at an 18th century English/French trading post. They re-enact a French wedding, and I would like to play some appropriate music for the wedding. Is "Come Haste to the Wedding" a french tune and, if so, does any know where I may get a copy. Any others would be welcome. Nothing too complicated please.

Thanks,
Jim
jimfrombliss
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Re: 18th century french wedding music

Postby JumbleJim » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Jim, from another Jim......it may not be the answer, but at least it's French music and it may be adapted to HD....and it's a great website anyway.....
http://mustrad.udenap.org/lerepertoire.html

Regards,

Jim
JumbleJim
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mrchips » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm

mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby cboody » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:10 am

Jumble Jim: The great site you mention is French Canadian music and not French music. The sit is in French but...

As to 18th Century French Wedding music: Well you have pre and post French Revolution issues and also court vs country issues. If you really want to be authentic you need more information about repertoires I can't help at all with!

Good Luck...
cboody
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby JumbleJim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 am

Cboody, I'm aware that site is in French, but didn't you click on the translated option?.....it may well be French Canadian, but an awful lot of the tunes are actually French in origin.....in a similar way to the fact that most Cape Breton music websites, although Canadian, are celebrating their Scottish and Irish roots (and a smattering of those French Canadian tunes too)......the beauty of the internet is it encourages lateral thinking in order to solve a problem.....
JumbleJim
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Ken Bloom » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:36 am

There is actually a lot around that is relatively easy to find and is Period correct. Unlike Britain, France was very particular about who they let come over here to settle. Check out the requirements for emigrants and you'll see what I mean. There are a lot of suites of dances by the Hotteterre family that are easy to find. There is also a lot of music in a collection called Der Fluyten Lust-hof of Jan Jakob Van Eyck. It is Dutch but the musical themes used for these variations were very popular all over Europe. If you need a source to obtain music like this, you can find a lot of it for free online or check out The Early Music Shop in Boulder, Colorado.
Even though much of this is so-called classical music, it was derived from popular songs and dances of the time. You just have to do a little reverse engineering to make it work. Bourees were very popular dances and are still played as part of French country music. Find out what province in France the people who founded your site came from. The music of Gascony is very different from Auergne or Brittany. It is then rather easy to track down the traditional music of that province. None of this is brain surgery. It does take a little digging. If you write to folk centers in the appropriate provence I think you will find that they will be very happy to help. Just my 2p.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.com
Ken Bloom

Postby cboody » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am

JumbleJim wrote:Cboody, I'm aware that site is in French, but didn't you click on the translated option?.....it may well be French Canadian, but an awful lot of the tunes are actually French in origin.....in a similar way to the fact that most Cape Breton music websites, although Canadian, are celebrating their Scottish and Irish roots (and a smattering of those French Canadian tunes too)......the beauty of the internet is it encourages lateral thinking in order to solve a problem.....

You're certainly right about the web! I didn't use the translation option because I can stumble along in French, but I went back and did use the translation buttons. I also looked at the tune titles. I have to disagree with your contention that many of the tunes are actually French. Some of them are, but not that many in my view. And, in any case, definitely not many that might be 18th century French. Look at the preponderance of jigs, reels and hornpipes; none of which were danced in 18th century France to my knowledge.

In sum, my view is this is a fine site, but not too helpful for the OP.
cboody

Postby jimfrombliss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Perhaps I should elaborate a little more. This site is in Mackinaw City. The original inhabitants were french. Fur traders and military. The english won the French/Indian war and took over the post. They allowed the french to remain to carry on the fur trade. The wedding re-enactment is provided for tourists. The ceremony is in french. I don't think that trying to find out where in France these people cqme from as I'm sure they were from various parts of France.I was just looking for some simple tunes of french origin to play. Something slow.

Jim
jimfrombliss
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Ken Bloom » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Ist movement, Jacque Hotteterre, Premiere Suitte de Pieces. It's in Dm out of F. You'll have to fill in the chords. Very nice melody and quite stately. 1712.

Kenneth Bloom
RSM, Montgomerie's Highlanders
Ken Bloom

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer