Chromatic Tuners

Just hammerers

Re: Chromatic Tuners

Postby mrchips » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 pm

With any of the audio pickup types like CA 30 the problems could well be some noise you consider normal tottaly not related to the HD. The clip on types elimanite that problem most of the time. One time it wont is if you have somebody heavy on the amp gain playing away as many HD tops and/or bottoms act somewhat like a mike. That can also be a problem with any form of a contact pickup in one too. There are also clip on pickups for most of the audio types. The ones with a quarter inch jack will acept these clip on pickups. A pickup, either clip on or perminitaly attached, will eliminate probally 90% of the enviromental sound issues. Sometimes you have to move the tuner around, It just depends on the HD.

Hds tend to mess with any tiner too due to the way one works. Often damping the other side of the course on the treb clears up the problem as that side getss going too. Another thing that helps is to pick or tap the string just hard enough to get a reading. That will reduce the string coupling effect.

Another tuning issue to keep in mind is how the tuner shows sharps. Many wont show a sharp at all but they show the same note as a flat. A flat is just the next note shown as flat but its the same note. Example -- A sharp is the same exact note as B flat.

One important thing with a CA 30 and another version of the same tuner is the calabrate button placement. Its real easy to "fat finger" the calabrate button right under the power one causing the standard to be set to anything other than 440. Take a second or 2 to look before you wind up all tuned nicely to say 448 and you dont find out until somebody says "youre a bit sharp".. :lol: Been there, done that.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Scout » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:12 pm

I decided to move into the current century, and just ordered the Korg CA-40 Large Display Auto Chromatic Tuner and the clip. Should be interesting to see how it works with Lorelei (HD) and my other instruments.

Got to beat the pitchpipe just in time spent.
Scout
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Sarah » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 am

csestric wrote: My instructor recommended a Zen-on Cromatica 331, but I've been unable to locate a source.

Your problem is that you have a misspelling: try "Zen-on Chromatina 331" in Google and you should find several on-line sources.

I've had my Zen-on Chromatina 331 for about 5 years now and it's worked well for me. I'm sure there are other good tuners, too, but the Zen-on was my third try at a chromatic tuner, and the first one that really worked well on my extended-range hammered dulcimer.
Sarah

Postby Martin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:46 am

My Sabine works pretty well.
Martin

Postby clanross » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:17 am

When I received my (first) HD last year I was a complete novice, and whilst in Florida met up with Bob Kamen, thanks to ED's pages on teacher locations. I had bought a Korg C30 but Bob recommended the Zenon Chromatina 331. That was perhaps the best advice anyone has given me regarding my HD!

Even for a novice, "accurate" tuning is easily acheived. When I tried with the Korg, Bob was insistent the instrument was badly tuned, and given his enormous musical knowledge who could argue? I gave the Korg to a youngster who plays guitar.

I gave David Lindsey a call and he mailed the Zenon out to me quickly. It was a great investment.

TIP! Stick some velcro on the back of the tuner to steady it on the HD strings, use a lead with a pickup clip, (these are very inexpensive), and you are well on the road to having a well tuned instrument under any (noise), conditions.

Learning to play it is a whole "n'other" matter!!

Dave
clanross
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby mrchips » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:03 am

Hds are no more dificult to understand than a MD with 3 major differences as far as the tuning scheme goes. Asuming a 15/14 hd both the hd and md asuming DAd are both 3 octave insterments and both play the same exact notes with one difference. That has to do with the half frets on a md but that is also easy to deal with. Both are diationic in nature but with a HD the octave is split in the middle over the middle (treb) bridge with the low 4 notes on one side and the other 4 on the other. The same relationship holds between the right side of the treb and the bridge (Bass) to the right. What this gives is a diference of 5 notes across the bridge on every course. If you know anything about chords this gives both the low note and high note of a chord on every course. You have 2/3 of a chord and all you gotta do is add in that middle note, located the third string up on the right, if you preffer doin melody.

Secondly a md is more suited to doing harmony than a HD because theotectly you can get a different chord every strum if you chose to do so. Its also easy to do just pure melody or a mixture of both also. A Hd by nature is more suited to do melody on because you have only 2 hands and a true 3 note chord on a single beat is impossible because youre short that third hand. :lol: Thats not to say you cant do melody on one, you just have to resort to doing chords by cheating a bit and relying on the substain to get the chord sound. The up side of that is any chord is just as easy as another because youre not limited by how far you can spread the fingers. There is all sorts of tricks you can use to get a chord sound but that is a subject all its own.

While a Hd is diationicly tuned just like a MD the 3rd difference is you have many keys avalable without retuning or capoing or other tricks. Just start at the right marker for the desired key. Granted, the mechanics of playing the two are tottaly different but if you understand how one works, the other one works simular. Music theory such as timing, actual notes and so forth is exactly the same for every insterment so theres no relearning as far as that goes. In fact a md tab works quite well on a HD too with a minor adjustment. There are no frets on a HD as each course (left side and right side of a bridge on the same course counts as 2 notes) so each note is essencally an open tuning. In essence just add 1 to the numbers on a md tab and count courses starting from the approate key marker.

The beauty of how a HD is set up note wise is the layout is actually one big music "cheat sheet" once you learn how to read it. Its super easy to play any tune you know in one key in just about any key on a Hd without even knowing the notes of the other key too. Hds are what one could call a pattern insterment. Once you learn the pattern for a chord, that same pattern holds almost everywhere. The exception is where you "run off" the top of a HD. All that changes is you gotta know where to start the pattern and thats the naming note of the chord.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby enigma-ocean » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 pm

I am still new at this as I have owned my Hammered Dulcimer for about two years and have only recently gotten into really learning how to play it. :oops: I have found that the Korg CA-30 without a clip-on pickup is difficult at best to tune with. I recently got a pickup clip that plugs right into the Tuner and that has made a world of difference. I don't get any background noise effecting my tuning. When I mean recently, I mean that I really started to learn songs about a month ago. But I seem to be getting its patterns and understanding how it works pretty well. It definitely takes time and patience.
enigma-ocean
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby kwl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:08 pm

E-O, welcome to ED. It's amazing how a simple thing like a tuner clip can make the task of tuning a HD so much easier. I always encourage folks to buy a clip with the tuner. You'd be surprised how many don't and then come back later to pick one up. Glad you are getting in to playing your HD. It's good to have you here at ED. If we can help in any way, just ask.
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby enigma-ocean » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:08 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have been looking around and finding all sorts of information so far.

Thanks again.
enigma-ocean
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Heidi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

csestric wrote:.... My instructor recommended a Zen-on Cromatica 331, but I've been unable to locate a source.

I got mine from David Lindsey www.davidsdulcimers.com I do not see it on his web site at this time, but you could email him and ask. They are nice folks.

I like my Zen-on Chromatina better than my old Korg CA30 except you have to be sure to turn it off because there is no auto-off like the Korg.
Heidi

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer