JERRY REED SMITH DULCIMERS

Just hammerers

JERRY REED SMITH DULCIMERS

Postby johnbob » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:03 pm

I was just curious how many out there in ED land play his dulcimers. He's got a year and a half wait right now, so there must be a few players out there.

Anyone want to talk about their experience with JRS?

I just put myself on the list, so I have a year and a half to save up that pile of money.
johnbob
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby halfpint » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:10 pm

There are a couple of people on here who have his, I'm surprised no one else has chimed in. I don't have one yet, but he is making mine right now. I will get mine at approximately two years after I got on the list since once he starts it still takes several months. I went and picked out my woods in October, and will probably get mine in late April or May. When he starts your dulcimer, you'll need to put down a deposit, and then maybe make another payment or two before it's finished.

I considered purchasing other dulcimers, but his was the one that 'sang' to me, and I knew that if I chose another dulcimer I would never really be satisfied. I'm just hoping that I can do it justice.

Dawn
halfpint
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Steve Smith » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:34 am

I would love to have one, and have loved the ones in his shop every time I've visited. But since we have a few others already (plus two kids!), I've never been able to justify one of Jerry's...
Steve Smith

Postby johnbob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:45 am

well, I got all of Marcy's thoughts in a PM recently. She's so helpful.

I'm very excited about this. I'm also interested to see how I get all of the money together. It'll definitely be a challenge. My wife and I are excited. I'm sort of thinking, this will be the last dulcimer I buy. So with that mindset, it's worth every penny.
johnbob

Jerry Read Smiths dulcimers

Postby lisaray » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I absolutely love my Jerry Read Smith dulcimer. I love the tone on mine and actually bought mine used from a lady who was purchasing one of his new ones. I believe if I remember correctly, that mine was built in 1996. I have a mahogany top which gives it a very warm tone. I do not have dampers and my dulcimer has a great deal of sustain but that's what I like. My dulcimer is heavy for me but to me it is worth every pound! In addition I was having some trouble with tuning mine across the treble bridge. I called Jerry and actually went to his workhop in Black Mountain and he looked at it for free and advised me. He always returns his phone calls if you have questions. I was very impressed by his attention to someone who did not even purchase directly from him. You can't go wrong. Several people have offered to buy it from me when and if I sell it. If I do buy another large dulcimer it would be one of his for sure . I would love to buy one that is lighter and has dampers.
Hope this helps Lisa
lisaray
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby marcy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:39 pm

I know the lady Lisaray bought hers from. Small world!
marcy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby NWBonnie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Years ago when I bought my first dulcimer, a RL Tack, with a floating soundboard, rather heavy, it was a good instrument on which to learn to play. It has 3 octaves. As I advanced, I realized I wanted a larger instrument, 4 1/2 - 5 octave range and started my search. Living out in Idaho it is a challenge to get to festivals or hear other instruments, but I heard a few dulcimers from a variety of builders, and as it has been said here, all the luthiers are wonderful builders and people and are so helpful to everyone. I knew when I bought my larger dulcimer, it would most likely be my last one, and so gave it much thought and consideration. For me this was a personal decision, to buy one made by JRS. I think each person is looking for a particular sound, or for a dulcimer with certain characteristics, and I found what I was looking for in Jerry's dulcimers. At the time I was considering putting my name on his list, and starting to save my money, he had a 4 1/2 octave with the variable density soundboard for sale as an internet sale. I was his first response, had Joann in his store play it over the phone for me, and after talking with him, decided to buy it. I have not regretted that decision at all. I have been thoroughly pleased with the instrument, the range and the sound, and I find it stays in tune very well. When I do tune it, I only need to make slight changes and it goes rather quickly. I think this 4 1/2 octave one is only about 17 or 19 pounds, much lighter than my older Tack. Mine has the variable gradient density soundboard with the sitka spruce on top, African mahogany on the bottom of the soundboard. Since this was not one I ordered, I had no choices, but would not change anything about mine. So I did not have the experience of having him custom make mine, but he has always been helpful with any questions, and I know two people who are having theirs being built right now, and they should be ready this April or May. So overall, I could not be more pleased with my JRS. Over the few years I have had it, it has mellowed so nicely and sounds more delightful than when it first arrived. Even then, I loved the sound. Two summers ago I was finally able to visit Song of the Wood and go to Jerry's shop and meet him and see some of the process of building the dulcimers.
Even though I did receive mine directly from the internet sale, had I ordered one, it would have well been worth the wait. I am sure it will be for you also. Keep us posted as the time nears and you are making decisions about the woods and such, and then after you receive it. How exciting this must be for you.
NWBonnie

Postby KrisS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:36 pm

My JRS 5-Octave Grande Concertmaster with dampers. My pride and joy. Please don't ever ask me to choose between it and my husband.

I waited about forever for it and it is SO worth the wait! I enjoy every note! :)

I promised pictures in another thread, but pictures don't begin to do it justice. But here they are anyway:

KrisS

Postby wdaltman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Uh, wow! Truly beautiful.
wdaltman
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby marcy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:33 pm

It is gorgeous, of course. I would like to see closeups of all the scrolls and soundholes!
marcy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:08 pm

Wowsy-wow-wow! That's amazing. Good thing it's not fly season here, or one might have flown straight down my throat. *jaw drop* :P

I can kinda see the bottom scrolls, but I agree with Marcy, post pics of the rosettes and scrolls.
Heidi

Postby kwl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:26 pm

How exquisite! What a wonderful looking dulcimer and I'm sure the sound matches the looks. Enjoy!
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Next

Return to Playing Hammered Dulcimer