What are the best learning materials?

Help for new hammerers of all ages!

What are the best learning materials?

Postby Gogoland » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I just paid $700 for a Songbird Warbler! I hope this was a great deal. I am waiting for it to ship. In the meantime, what are some highly recommended books/dvds/websites for learning the HD? If some of them come with some music theory for beginners that would be a great mention. I know a list of free music theory sites but I would like HD learning materials that take into consideration those without a music/theory background. Also if there are instructional materials that do not require music theory, that would be a great mention as well! Please chime in. Thanks :D
Last edited by Gogoland on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gogoland
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: What are the best learning materials?

Postby flutinggnee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Dickinsondulcimer.com has some good information, including videos. You can also check the back issues of the Dulcimer Players News, which are also now online. I'm sure others will suggest some other sites, too....
flutinggnee
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mrchips » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

In my opinion you should learn the instrument itself first. This is NOT the same as learning a tune, but where all the notes are located, where all the duplicated notes are, things like the patterns like where you can find the same notes up or down an octave and so on. In fact once you learn how to "read" that weird note layout you dont need anything like chord cheat sheets and so on. Its all there in you're face. In fact the entire note layout is actually a big music theory cheat sheet once you learn how to read it. The best book Ive ever seen that addresses learning the instrument is Russel Cooks ultimate HD book http://masterworksok.com/store/hammer-d ... ource-book Its a bit pricey but well worth it. This book is NOT a how to play book but how one works. There is most of what you need to learn to read sheet music and a bit of music theory included.

One of the best how to play books using actual sheet music is Madeline MacNeils "You Can Teach Yourself Hammered Dulcimer" book. Its available with both a CD and a DVD from many places. This one has a lot of neat tunes in it arranged in such a way to build up playing skills. There are many books of this type around varying from reasonable to excellent.
mrchips
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Gogoland » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks guys. I am definitely checking out Russell Cook's book. That sounds rad!
Gogoland
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby geonix » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 am

If you can find a copy of Lucille Reilly's Striking Out...and Winning it would be well worth it. It does an excellent job of helping you find your way around the instrument as well as providing lessons in an incremental format as your skills increase. It also provides a type of notation that is easy to read and understand and will help you with hammering patterns for tunes.
geonix
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby phil8888 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 am

If you are interested in hammer dulcimer tablature, some good playing tips and instruction on how to get started with
chords and harmony check out all the free material on http://www.hammereddulcimertablature.com
phil8888
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby fbridgeway » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 am

I am currently putting the finishing touches on a new YouTube lesson for beginners and intermediate students entitled, "Understanding Your Hammered Dulcimer" that will cover tuning, finding notes, scales, chord shapes, major and minor chords, formulas for finding duplicate notes, how to hold the hammers and more that will give the newer player a jump start in learning and playing their instrument. This lesson should be available by Sunday if not this evening. I have other lessons available suitable for the beginner player also available and a FREE lesson all found at www.homestead.com/makemusic under the YouTube Lessons tab. The FREE lesson will not only give you an idea of my teaching style, but is a great tune and fun to play! If I can be of any help, please contact me at fbridgeway@juno.com
fbridgeway
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Return to Hammered Dulcimer Beginner's Area