Hughes Dulcimer Co. Dulcimer

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Re: Hughes Dulcimer Co. Dulcimer

Postby HughesDulcimer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:22 pm

KenH wrote:So tell us about your plans. And your name, please!

Are you going to be making veneer instruments or solid wood, or both? Price ranges? Styles? My first instrument, back in 1973 or so was a Hughes kit that I assembled so I could teach myself to play. At the time I was living up in Fort Collins and attending CSU.

Hi! My name is Justin Rousselot and Norman Hughes (virgils son) is a dear friend of mine and sort of asked me if I would like to take over doing the Dulcimers so I of course said yes ! Norman is sort of "holding my hand" if you will and teaching me the ropes right now ..As of right now I am finishing dulcimers that where left over from when the shop was open. There about 80 of them that are about 60% finished so I am finishing those ones off before I make any brand new ones ..And i will be making both Veneer and Solid wood dulcimers .. and I both in the 60% finshed stages too
HughesDulcimer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Justin
I'm glad to see you are starting up in Virgil's place and I wish you the best of luck with getting it going.

I talked to Virgil earlier this year and he remembered me and we had a great conversation. I visited his shop often when I lived in Denver in the 1980's and 1990's. Virgil had a pamphlet titled "A Fanciful History of the Dulcimer". I lost my copy and was interested in obtaining another one. Do you know if the pamphlet is still available?
Thanks
Dave
dholeton
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby jvlpog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks for the information. Good luck with your venture!
jvlpog

Postby HughesDulcimer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:44 pm

dholeton wrote:Justin
I'm glad to see you are starting up in Virgil's place and I wish you the best of luck with getting it going.

I talked to Virgil earlier this year and he remembered me and we had a great conversation. I visited his shop often when I lived in Denver in the 1980's and 1990's. Virgil had a pamphlet titled "A Fanciful History of the Dulcimer". I lost my copy and was interested in obtaining another one. Do you know if the pamphlet is still available?
Thanks
Dave

Hey Dave!

Virgil gave me one one those pamphlets to read a while ago and would bet there are some more in the shop ..I will be going to the shop next week sometime and I will see if I can't get a few
HughesDulcimer
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby dholeton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks Justin
The old 1995 catalog brochure I have shows the pamphlet cost was $1.95. I was talking to Virgil earlier this year and he indicated he still had some but they were now $3.00. I'll be glad to send $3.00 plus shipping and handling if any are still available. I'm glad you are involved in the shop now and I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Dave
Attachments
Hughes_Catalog_1995.pdf
Hughes Dulcimer Catalog from 1995
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
dholeton

Postby tentmaker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 pm

I have an HS34R4S Rosewood and Spruce hourglass with 4 sound holes and no 61/2 as pictured in the 1995 catalog posted by dholeton. The top of the Hughes lineup, it was built in 1989 and Rosewood was expensive even in those days as the 1995 catalog price was $290.00. Still a great traditional sound. 8)
tentmaker
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby dholeton » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:56 pm

I would say your HS34R4S is rare. I don't remember seeing any rosewood dulcimers in the shop. I did strum a spruce top church dulcimer once while I was in Virgil's shop, otherwise I didn't see any spruce tops either.

Dave
dholeton

Postby mmkenney » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Several years ago, I procured several kits from Hughes Dulcimer via a Craigslist ad - 3 hammered dulcimers, one balalaika, one bowed psaltry, and a paraguayan style harp. It's good to hear that Hughes may be up and running once more, as I'm sure I'll be needing further supplies/suggestions... I had one occasion to call - and got a very prompt reply about materials from the owner who had recently retiired... Now, I'm finally getting around to working on them all, and I'm sure as a newbie here I will have lots of questions! Found this board by making internet enquiries about Hughes Dulcimers in Denver (my old stomping grounds - used to live on East Colfax!)

Mark K.
mmkenney
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion