Fabric/Wood Stands

Call the tune - Talk about whatever!

Fabric/Wood Stands

Postby cforget » Wed May 07, 2008 3:37 am

Hi everyone - have been thinking of changing to the fabric/wood stands. Does anyone have any information about them and/or advice? All replies are appreciated. Thanks.
cforget
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

cloth music stand

Postby Deb » Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am

I love my stand... comes from the Bag Lady. Has room to store music and notes when at a festival and easy to tote. Deb R

http://www.dulcimerbaglady.com/
Deb
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby cforget » Wed May 07, 2008 7:50 am

Thanks Deb. I intend to check her out at my next festival or maybe even sooner. :D :D
cforget
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Wed May 07, 2008 12:21 pm

I like Lee Felt's stands, but I don't use one. I prefer to have my notebook in a more vertical position and so use a very light weight metal music stand. The angle on the fabric stands is just awkward for my reading glasses at times. I read better when things are all at the same distance from my eyes. My metal stand weighs a little under 3 lbs and packs in it's own bag. So it isn't difficult to take with. Some metal stands weigh a ton.

But Lee's stands are well made, with a carrying strap and an extra flap for holding stuff. Really neat.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed May 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Don't read/follow SMN or Tab so I don't schlep a stand; I do carry a 3-legged folding stool to sit on.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Sarah » Wed May 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Ok, I figured it out in context that you are talking about a stand to hold sheet music, not a stand to hold an instrument. Hammered dulcimer players do a lot of talking about the type of stand that holds the instrument. I have seen a mountain dulcimer player use an instrument stand before, too, though most sit and put the MD on their lap. It took me a couple posts to figure out what this was about. I was curious about the "fabric" part. (Actually, I'm still curious about the "fabric" part for a music stand.)

Hmmm . . . I'm reminded of those bumper stickers that urge drivers to "share the road" and remember there are bicyclists on the road, too. Although MD players are the majority here, you guys need to remember to "share the forum" and remember there are HD players here, too, and we're easily confused. What's obvious to MD players might not be obvious to us! :lol:
Sarah
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Wed May 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Remember those old wood-frame, canvas-seat folding camp stools? A wood-canvas music stand is sort like that, but when it's open the canvas isn't taut like a stool; it forms a "bag" into which you can put sheet music and miscellania. One of the sides is shorter than the other so that you can actually read music in there, and it holds paper at a reasonable angle.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Whip » Wed May 07, 2008 7:01 pm

My husband cut angled slots across a 2x6 that he had cut into a fancy shape. I use one piece of plexiglass to rest my music on. If I'm outside, there is another slot to place another piece of plexiglass over the sheet music. Since the plexiglass is at an angle, it leaves a little flat area on the board behind the music to place my tuner, etc. He put an extra slot in where I can leave picks. Obviously it's meant to be on a table, but then I don't schlep it around, but it does come apart to store flat and is very light.
Karen
Whip

Postby Seane » Wed May 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey, Cheryl. For what it's worth, I'm not real big on that style of music stand. They look nice and work pretty well, but to me they are just too bulky. I received a nice, fold up metal music stand for Christmas. It folds up to a fairly small footprint and is easy to carry.

All that being said, I do have a fabric one like you are talking about. It was built by a member of our club (Chuck Porter) who passed away a few years ago. He was a good person, and good friend, and the stand always reminds me of him. I'm sure I'll never get rid of it.
Seane

Postby Tim2723 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:45 pm

KenH wrote:Remember those old wood-frame, canvas-seat folding camp stools? A wood-canvas music stand is sort like that, but when it's open the canvas isn't taut like a stool; it forms a "bag" into which you can put sheet music and miscellania. One of the sides is shorter than the other so that you can actually read music in there, and it holds paper at a reasonable angle.

Thanks for that, Ken. Like Sarah, I too was confused. I'd read about adding a strip of fabric to a guitar-type stand to hold the MD when not played, but this s new to me.

What are the advantages to the dulicmer player for this kind of music stand? Since many seem to like them while othes don't (what else is new?). what makes them better for those who like them?
Tim2723

Postby folkfan » Wed May 07, 2008 10:11 pm

The only problem I've seen with the fabric and wood folding stand is a broken leg. It wasn't and I repeat it wasn't one of Lee Felt's stands. But at OVG I did do some emergency repair work on one lady's stand that had a leg broken just at the joint of the lower cross support. With a pencil and a pen and surgical fabric tape we splinted the leg stoutly enough that she could go on stage with it. I believe she asked me if I was a nurse. ;)
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

music stand

Postby starter » Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 pm

I may have mentioned this somewhere before, I am am using a 10$ artist's easel from a hobby lobby store. I tacked on a scrap of 1/4" ply with 4 screws. Do not put the lower parts of the tripod legs on and it is a good height for looking over the dulcimer to see the music. Light weight easy to carry, with the panel it holds up single paper sheets, if you consistently use a notebook you don't need the panel. I have been asked to put together a couple more for some of the members taking dulcimer lessons in the same class I am in.
starter

Next

Return to Jam Session - General Discussion