Walnut Valley dulcimer

All strummers welcome!

Walnut Valley dulcimer

Postby mtl-ga » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:34 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a dulcimer made by a company called Walnut Valley Clock and Dulcimer in Burns, Kansas? I can't find any information on them on the internet.
mtl-ga
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Tin Ear » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:10 pm

I've heard of the Walnut Valley Dulcimer out of Burns, Kansas, though I was not aware they made clocks too. I had several as they were my first dulcimers. They had a nice old timey sound and were well crafted. Not a lot of volume. A little higher strung than I now prefer. Are you looking at buying one? I think I remember someone on this board telling me that the company has been sold but is in good hands. My hourglass WVD ended up in the hands of SharonGiacomo, maybe you could ask her how she likes it.
Tin Ear
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby mtl-ga » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:05 pm

I just bought a used one from an e-bay seller. I think they picked it up from an estate sale. It looks like a good dulcimer, and it was reasonably priced, but I guess I'll find out for sure when it arrives. I'm a beginner, so I hope I didn't make a bad deal.
mtl-ga
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mtl-ga » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:07 pm

How does I get in touch with SharonGiacomo?
mtl-ga
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby SharonGiacomo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 am

If yours is as well crafted as mine, I think you'll be very happy with it. Smile I'm just a beginner too, but I love the way mine sounds.
SharonGiacomo
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby mtl-ga » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 am

Thanks a lot for the info!
mtl-ga
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Postby Marc Mathieu » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:35 am

Hi mtl-ga ! I've owned a Walnut Valley (my 1st one) since 1994 and have been very pleased with it. It's still the one that I play the most. Mine is the "Wildwood Mountain" model with Rosewood back & sides with a Redwood top and walnut fretboard. It has hummingbird and vine soundholes. There's a walnut tree, mother-of-pearl inlay between the zero & 1st fret. Jack Brunner, the owner the Walnut Valley Dulcimer & Clock Co. that was located in Burns Kansas, became severely ill and had to let his business go. Too bad, since the craftmanship, tone, action, etc were more than excellent ! A gentleman just ouside of Burns, by the name of Rodney Khoen bought all the equipment and was crafting beautiful instruments which he named "Wildwood Dulcimers". I had the pleasure of playing one at a festival last August. I used to correspond with Rodney, but last time I sent him an e-mail, it came back "undelivered". He was supposed to have a website soon, but it doesn't seem to be active yet. You got yourself a fine instrument. Enjoy playing it ! Wink
Marc Mathieu
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Tin Ear » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:47 pm

I always thought the hummingbirds were really nicely done.
Tin Ear
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers