Galax Dulcimer Video

All strummers welcome!

Postby flyingcursor » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:33 pm

That was great!!!
flyingcursor
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Va Dulcimer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 pm

Kathy wrote:Kimberly,

That was so much fun to listen to! Does Don have a website? Your dulcimer is really pretty and unique looking. Is your feather from a turkey? How long does your feather last before you have to get another oone?

Kathy :)

Kathy,

Here is Don's contact info:
Don Neuhauser
7914 Hidden River Trace
Charlestown, IN 47111
812-256-6966
Dot3518@aol.com

Don told me that he doesn't really mess too much with email, but I do think that his wife checks it! :D

Also, you asked how long a quill will last. I have been using the same goose quill for about 6 months, so they last a pretty long while. I don't think that turkey quills last as long though from what I have heard.

Kimberly
Va Dulcimer

Postby Va Dulcimer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 pm

highnoonhunter wrote:Hey Kimberly-

Do you split the quill, or just leave it as-is??

hnh

I just strip the feathery part off of the quill and then trim the small end of the quill off to the point of stiffness that I prefer (this would vary with each person depending on what you like......just like with picks) I am using the small end to strike the strings.

Kimberly
Va Dulcimer

Postby Va Dulcimer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:41 pm

Lisa,
My dulcimer is built of chestnut with a rosewood overlay on the fretboard. The chestnut is not old wormy chestnut wood, but new chestnut that Don had a source for that had recently been cut down. It had survived the chestnut blight that hit in the early part of the 20th century.

You also asked the following question:
"I have a question- You are playing in dddd Galax tuning in the key of D. What do you do on that dulcimer if you want to play tunes in A or G?"

I always get confused when talking about tuning and keys and modes and all that so forgive me if I answer this in a manner that doesn't make sense!!! Please, just let me know if I am losing my mind!! :shock: :D

For instance, if playing "Ebeneezer" which most folks would tune their dulcimers to DGD, I do not have to retune and it sounds just fine with the DGD folks. If I am playing a tune like "Reuben" or "Hard Times" I slide the reverse capo under the two drone strings at the first fret and play away. My understanding is that one of the advantages of the Galax tuning is that you can play D and G tunes without retuning your dulcimer. In any case, I play tunes in both keys without retuning.

I am terribly sorry if this makes no sense......my biggest problem is that I tend to play the dulcimer by ear so I can't always describe what I am doing in musical terms. (With that said, I do have a solid background in music theory as far as the piano goes, but I have never bothered to try to apply it to the dulcimer....stupid....I know!!) :oops:

Perhaps if you give me the name of an A or G tune, then I could tell you how I would play it and we can figure it out together! I'm embarrassed by my inability to answer you!

Kimberly
Va Dulcimer

Postby katshan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks for the great video clip Kimberly. You do a wonderful job playing Galax style. Really enjoyed it.

Don Neuhauser is a great guy, a very talented dulcimer & clawhammer banjo player too. Don has competed at Galax at the Old Fiddler's Convention for a bunch of years. If memory serves, he was in the top 5 in '06. His dulcimers are top of the line in every way.

One of these days (if I can put the fiddle down long enough) I'll get serious about playing Galax style. I'm lucky enough to have an old Cherry/wormy Chestnut Galax dulcimer that's ornately carved and masterfully made by Phipps Bourne of Galax. Your video has really served as a source of great inspiration.

Thanks & best wishes to you.

Kathy
katshan
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby Va Dulcimer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 am

dulcimerdawg wrote:By the way, next time you cut your head off, try Duct Tape to fix it :D

Well, I found my roll of duct tape and now my head is attached and here is another Galax style video!! :)

"Flop-Earred Mule"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6169GO5r7M

Just for fun:
"Green Gravel" played on a scheitholt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXF7_BeWeG8
Va Dulcimer

Postby Steve D » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am

Wonderful, both of them... I'm starting to take a closer look at Galax style playing now - thanks for the inspiration!
Steve D

Reverse Capo / Movable Nut

Postby tentmaker » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 pm

Try placing the reverse capo under only the fourth/outboard string at the 3rd fret. This gives you a gddd tuning with gd drones for your g Ionian tunes to play with reverse Ionian / DGD tuned dulcimers.

Try it under only the 4th base string fret of an DAA tuned dulcimer to play in AAA bagpipe tuning - sounds great for melody-drone versions of Scotland the Brave and Simple Gifts.

I use a grooved reverse capo/movable nut for unwound strings but an ungrooved one seems to work OK under a wound string.
tentmaker

Postby Robin T » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:04 pm

That is a good and fast Flop-Earned Mule! Any tips for those of us wanting to play both cleanly and at fiddle tune speed?
Robin
Robin T
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Previous

Return to Playing Mountain Dulcimers