It's hot!

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Postby SteveD » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:38 pm

The good old swamp cooler that runs in our house almost all day long is pumping out not very cool air right now. This is when I wish we had central air.Wink
SteveD
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby folkfan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:43 pm

Steve, What's a swamp cooler? Just curious.Rolled Eye Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Dave-M » Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:15 pm

Swap cooler is another name for an evaporative cooler. Water flows down across pads and a big fan pulls the air through them on it's way into the house. They work fine except durring our humid months, then they are useless. Peace, Dave
Dave-M
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Dotti » Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:57 pm

that sounds a little weird - sort of like putting a fan in from of a block of ice?
Dotti
Member (51-100 posts)

Postby Sheila » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:29 pm

Well, not to gloat (OK, I'm gloating Wink ! ), our low the last two nights was in the 40's (30's in low areas), and high in the 70's. We were camping at Evart, and the weather was perfect! A musician from Tennessee said that now he knows why people live in Michigan LOL! ! Of course, I'll be complaining in January, but for now, I love Michigan!
Sheila
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby KenH » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:21 am

Yeah Dottie; sorta like a fan and ice, but usually not prone to dripping on the floor. Rolled Eye Some are window mount units, but most are a box about 2 ft x 2 ft x 2ft, mounted on the roof. You don't see them very much in humid climates, they only work well when the air is relatively dry; even here on muggy days (15% humidity) they don't work as well.
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby folkfan » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:45 am

It's not hot here in the Chicagoland area, IT'S WET!!!!!! Last nights tunderstorms were so bad coming through south of the city here that I didn't sleep all night.EEK! Early in the morning we finally had water in the lower level and I spent a good portion of this morning with mop in hand.Frown Mad! I finally broke out a bottle of water absorbing crystals that are usually put out in garden soil. I took a towel and put it down in the water. It was immediately soaked and actually underwater, so then I poured the crystals on top of the towel and now they are several inches thick.Rolled Eye (The crystals absorb up to 400 times their weight in water.) Later on to day, I go dump them out in the garden. Anyone have any good swamp songs? LOL! Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby jakstall » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:34 am

A swamp cooler works because as water evaporates to saturate the air it absorbs heat. The temperature of the air coming out of a swamp cooler is the dew point (the air temperature is reduced to the point at which the air is saturated with water). As relative humidity increases the closer the dew point is to the measured temperature, so you get less cooling. That's why swamp coolers don't work well in humid climates (like South Louisiana). This is the same principle that your body's natural air conditioner (sweat) works on.
jakstall
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Previous

Return to The Archives