Great Concert Report

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Great Concert Report

Postby missy » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:25 am

Tom and I went to see the Chieftan's with Earl Scruggs and Nanci Griffith last evening at Riverbend, our outdoor concert facility on the Ohio River. I've been a BIG Chieftan's fan for a long time, but this was my first time seeing them in concert. This was Tom's second time seeing Earl Scruggs. It was a fantastic concert - mainly with selections from their "Old Plank Road" CD, but they also played songs from "Long Black Veil" , "Santiago" and others. Had two step dancers from Ottawa with them that were great. Now - how does this partain to dulcimers, you may ask???EEK! Well, the Chieftan's are known for having local artist on stage with them. And their harpist passed away last October. SO - they had Nancy Bick Clark, MY FIRST DULCIMER TEACHER, as their guest harpist!!!! And Paddy talked about what a wonderful O'Carolan player Nancy is! Gee - and I knew her when!LOL! Missy
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby SMO » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:03 am

You should ask Ed Bray of Northern Cross about getting to play bodhran with them two years ago in Akron. He hasn't come down yet. I was wondering how they were getting along without Derrick Bell. We've also been fans for a long time. That's great for Nancy.
SMO
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby Tom » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:34 am

Nancy did good. I'll bet that's the fastest she has ever played Shebeg Shemor. That's the fastest I've ever heard it played. Cool. It was also neat that Neal Hellman had just taught us a couple tunes that The Chieftains played.
Tom

Postby SMO » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:57 am

Incidently, Tom & Missy, we met a young man while we were playing at LilyFest yesterday who was very impressed with the dulcimers and wants to know more. He's from Cincinnati, so we told him to look for you at the farmer's market. He was probably in his early 20's, thin and had short blond hair. Hopefully you'll see him soon.
Last edited by SMO on Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMO

Postby missy » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:05 pm

Ohhhhh - another possible victim - er - I mean student!LOL! Thanks, Mike! Missy
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Red-Headed_Irish_Lass » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:04 pm

Oh Missy, I'm jealous. I love them both! the girls & I dance around to flatt & scrugs songs all the time.
Red-Headed_Irish_Lass
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Return to The Archives