arthritic fatigue

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

arthritic fatigue

Postby Gail Knapp » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am

hello Friends, Do any of you folks that are suffering from any type of arthritis have bouts of the fatigue that is common to we with this disease? I fight it almost weekly and it is all that I can do to carry on at all. It saps whatever energy that I do have . I was just wondering if any of you have this too and what do you do about it? GailK
Gail Knapp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

Postby suenadia » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:22 am

Orginally posted by Gail Knapp hello Friends, Do any of you folks that are suffering from any type of arthritis have bouts of the fatigue that is common to we with this disease? I fight it almost weekly and it is all that I can do to carry on at all. It saps whatever energy that I do have . I was just wondering if any of you have this too and what do you do about it? GailK
Hi Gail!! I do have this quite frequently too. At least once a week. I don't know if I have any good advice for you though, lol. I used to try and fight it, and keep a normal schedule, but I found that I was just too irritable because of he pain. So now if it hits and it's at all possible I just use that day to pamper myself. I give myself permission as much as possible to take extra naps and to have a nice warm bubble bath. I'm pretty busy usually, we have six people living at home, my husband, three teenage daughters and my mom, also two labs.But I found that I bounce back quicker if I take a little time for me. If you have access to an indoor heated pool, that is heaven. We have one in our city and it's very reasonable to go. I have found that depression seems to go along with the pain too... so sitting outside in the sunshine helps that. Most of all, just a positive attitude and knowing that I'll have good days and bad days, but that I can make it through the bad days.I know I told you I have an artificial hip due to the arthritis. I can tell you are a strong person by reading your posts. I bet you tend to push yourself, lol. My best advice is to pamper yourself. You deserve it.I will say a special prayer for you tonight and ask God to give you sweet sleep and feel refreshed. We can do this. It's hard, but we can make it. Blessings, Sue
suenadia
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

Postby folkfan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:20 am

Hi Gail and Suenadia, The fatigue from arthritis is pain in itself. Pampering yourself is a good idea. Sit down, Feet up, Music playing, Good book, Cold drink, and Forget getting up to answer the phone. I can't sit in the sunshine due to skin cancer, but warmth is definitely a good idea. On really cold winter days I might actually climb back in bed. One lightweight replacement for a heavy blanket is the polar fleece. I have two 3 yard pieces I use during the winter instead of quilts or comforters. I keep large pieces of it around the house to wrap up in when I sit down. For some reason I'll get cold and stay cold if I'm not careful. Warm water helps, but as I have difficulty getting in and out of the bath tub, bubble baths are not really possible for me. My water bill goes up when I take my morning shower due to the length of time I spend with "HOT" water just flowing over my back. A tub seat is great to have to just sit down and relax on. A heated pool sounds great. Gail, As I mentioned before, you have to take care of yourself first. I know your concern and care for others says that they come first, but they don't. You do. Because if you're totally down and in pain, you can't function or respond properly to others. Take care of yourself and then you'll have the strength to take care of others. The inability to function is depression causing in itself. Pain causes depression as well. Do what you can to eliminate the depression. I'll turn on a bright and bouncy CD, or sit down with a cup of tea and a book. Try taking yourself away from your daily routine. Go for a walk, go window shopping, meet a friend for coffee or to see a movie (get popcorn) or simply curl up and go to sleep. I sleep on an air mattress which helps eliminate sore spots. I can only get to sleep on my right side as my left hip can't take any pressure. To sleep in one position would be difficult on a regular mattress. I learned about air mattresses the hard way when I was stuck in bed flat on my back at a hospital after surgery, developing bed sores. The nurses moved an air mattress in and literally carried me over to it. As always my thoughts are with you, Take care. May He, in his high heavens, bless you and keep you. Play on, FF
Last edited by folkfan on Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

arthritic fatigue

Postby Gail Knapp » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:27 am

thank you sue and folkfan and Thankyou Bruce for allowing me to ask these health questions to others when they are not dulcimer related. I have no one else to turn to to get help when I need it most and these folks at ED have been through it too and they know how to help me in my time of need. So, the rest of you who are saying to yourselves where does this fit into ED.com, well it is all connected believe me. The music is the life. The life is the music and when one is interrupted in any way physical or mental it will affect the life and the music. Your letter made me tear up some girls. I know that you have been through it all and continue to cope and get through it all again. Sue, I hope that I am strong. I really want to be and I know that I have to have a positive attitude and most of the time I do. But sometimes I get frustrated and sad about the things that I will never be able to do again and these are simple things too. I would love to be able to get into the bath tub, but like FF, that is one thing that I cannot do any longer. I've been looking in Walmart for polar fleece, FF, where can I buy it? I too have trouble getting comfy on the mattress. I thought polar fleece might be good as a mattress padding. You girls ought to write a couple of articles for my new found magazine Arthritis Self-Management. I was talking with my hubby this morning about the fatigue and depression. Telling him that I was pretty down last evening after he went to work. He said to just try and think of the good thoughts and the good things, he says that works for him. My Dr. says to keep reading and learning about the diseases. I know that Knowledge is power. To me knowledge is acceptance and understanding too. On www.arthritis.org I punched in fatigue in the search and got some good articles on that subject and learned some more about schleroderma. It gave me some things to do and not to do when wanting to do the things that I enjoy. There was even playing music on the list. So, I will try to follow that thread and see how it helps me. thank you so much girls. Keep those good thots and prayers going. Gail
Gail Knapp

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:37 am

Gail; your hubby's right. A Positive Mental Attitude is definately a start in the right direction. It's hard to tell people how to develop such a thing, especially when they're down and depressed, but it really works. Music - happy music - can be a key to bringing you up. I dare you to play "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing", at speed, and not lift your spirits. Likewise certain hymns and other songs. BTW, look in you local non-Walmart fabric shop for the Polarfleece material.

Postby KenH » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:40 am

Oops...that was me Guesting in thereRolled Eye
KenH
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby missy » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:42 am

Gail, although I don't have arthritis (yet) I do have some thoughts of other things to try (besides the pampering - that is the MOST important!). Have you tried warm wax bathes for your hands? I know there are home kits for this, but you may want to try out one at a salon first. Lee Rowe has a home unit and SWEARS by it. Now, if they just had one to fit a whole body in!LOL! Keep your feet warm at all costs. I sleep with polar fleece socks all winter long - if my feet get cold, forget about me getting any sleep! Try both wet OR dry heat. Some things respond better to wet, some to dry. Try our (Procter and Gamble, that is) Thermocare wraps. These come in sizes for backs, leg and wrist, or cramps right now, but they are large pads with sticky stuff that could be wrapped around anything that hurts. The heat last for 8 hours. I also agree with Folkfan - shower massages are WONDERFUL! Also try some aromatherapy. I have no idea if it really "works" - but it sure makes you feel nicer breathing in wonderful scents. Look for oils rather than candles - you can either use an oil warmer (candle and water) or just apply a drop of the oil to a light bulb in the room (ah - apply it to a COLD bulb before you turn it on!). If I have any other thoughts, I'll let you know. Missy
missy
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Gail Knapp » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:02 am

Missy, I have and use regularly the hot wax for my hands and wrists and just recently I am using a small cup to pour the wax onto the inside of my elbow area, where I am having trouble with of late. And I agree, I wish I could immerse my whole body in the wax!!LOL! LOL! I definately need to get some polar fleece. Probably in Joplin at the big fabric stores, or even at Hobby Lobby. My chiropractor uses moist heat on my neck each week when we have my appointments. I not only get a needed adjustment but I get Physical Therapy too. Sometimes he runs the vibrator over my back...that is just heaven..I'm telling you right now!Wink and every week I get hooked up to the electric neck stem stimulator. When we started doing this type of Physical Therapy it worked right away. I lay on my stomach and am attached to an electric machine and they put wires into putty stuff and place one at the base of my neck and one in the middle of my back and it puts electric impulses in that area and then they place moist heat pads and padding of towels on top of that and I lay there for 20 min. It is so helpful. their office has a message therapist too, but I haven't tried her cause of the reg. PT I am getting weekly. Gail
Gail Knapp

Postby folkfan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:58 pm

Gail, I've always gotten my polar fleece at WalMart. Ask the area manager if she or he has it on order. With the Fall sewing season starting they maybe ordering it. You might want to try a egg carton foam pad for your bed. I had one that I folded up to get a nice thickness before I got my air mattress (a WalMart camping special). If you can try finding one of the hot wax appliances for hands and feet. It should be large enough for dipping your elbow in. Good thoughts and best wishes for you. Play on, FF
Last edited by folkfan on Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Gail Knapp » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:10 pm

FF, I have lots of that egg carton foam stuff that we used once under our old sofa cushions. I will try some next time we change the bedding. Hadn't even thought of that. thanks! Gail
Gail Knapp

Postby folkfan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:59 pm

Gail, Which of the types of arthritis fatigue are you bothered by the most. The fatigue that just suddenly comes on and you just have to sit down or fall down. It just sort of hits in an overwhelming wave. The fatigue that comes from not getting enough sleep at night simply because you can't find a comfortable position to sleep in, so that you wake up as tired as when you went to sleep. The fatigue that is brought on by being so contantly in pain that you just want to scream. Or the fatigue that accompanies the depression that just seems to come no matter how hard you try to stay positive. Talk to your doctor about the type of fatigue you're experiencing and perhaps he can recommend additional things for you to try. Play on, FF
folkfan
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Postby Gail Knapp » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:29 pm

The fatigue that comes in all of a sudden where I just have to sit down or fall down and then I haven't the energy to move much..it really is an overwhelming wave sort of thing and everything has to come to a stand still for the day. Usually it only lasts for a day. It happened this weekend on Sun. of all days. People will just have to try and understand what is happening to me sometimes. i can't control it , it is just there. I found me a piece of the egg shell stuff and I put it on the mattress on my side of the bed and will try it out tonight. I hope it won't be too warm on the bed. I've lost weight enough that my hips are bony laying on my sides and it is hard to find a good sleeping position right now. So maybe this will help. Gail
Gail Knapp

Next

Return to The Archives