Pickin' Stick

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Postby spoonsman » Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:18 am

Gail--I don't where you get your film developed, but Wal-Mart will make a disc along with prints (for an extra charge of course). Then you can send the pictures over the net.
spoonsman
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

pickin'stick pics

Postby Gail Knapp » Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:50 pm

hey Spoonsman, Someone last weekend mentioned that to me that I could get my prints put on a disc..can't remember who, but I DO have my pics developed at the 1 hr. photo at a super Walmart. i'll look into it. thanks, GailKWink
Gail Knapp
Super Mbr (501-2000 posts)

pickin' stick update

Postby Gail Knapp » Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:03 pm

I might have started a new trend, now if i can just come up with a name for it. Took the pickin' stick to dulcimer club meeting last night. Also took my "stock" of cigar boxes plus the wooden box that I made. In the process of checking it out with the other Mt. Dulcimer players the discovery was made that if we put the box that I made under the other end of the fretboard, the whole thing was so much louder!! it was surprising. So, I am working on putting that part together tonight. Fretboards are NOT my specialty and I DO NOT enjoy making fretboards. the wooden boxes are no problem with me...I love that part...if I could get someone to build me simple fretboards and cut the slots in them, and sell them at a reasonable price, then I could put the tuners on them and install the frets without too much trouble. Folkcraft sells them about $20.00 a piece. I want to build some of these unique looking dulcimers for beginners models.Wink GailK Any takers out there? PS: can you believe that this subject has taken up 3 pages of replies?? unbelieveable!!
Last edited by Gail Knapp on Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gail Knapp

pickin/strum stick or canjo or cigar box....

Postby pickin » Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:51 pm

Well the ol' pickin stick continues to get attention. It is always so interesting when I am out with mine - folks just like it for some reason. I talked to Terry McCafferty last night, he has about thirty something almost ready for the finishing stage. He has one of those computerized router tables. Said he did the inlay for the fret markers and the fit was so tight that he didn't need glue. The pickin stick was recorded last night and tonight. The North Harris County Dulcimer Society (Houston) is making a CD. Two of us are playing the pickin stick on several of the tunes. The other person (Janice) first recorded the pickin stick on a club tape back around 1992 or 1993. Gail I think it is really cool that you are making them out of cigar boxes. We will be a the Sawdust Festival in October - you should try to make it. Jerry
pickin
Senior Mbr (101-500 posts)

pickin' stick progress

Postby Gail Knapp » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:14 am

My update on my pickin' stick design I have posted on the category of Making Duclimers... Check it out folks.Wink GailK
Gail Knapp

Re: Pickin' Stick

Postby Corky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 pm

HI JERRY!!!
Yes, you play a mean pickin stick!
I know.

I have a friend that plays one just about the same size as yours Jerry. Her Husband built it for her.
She tunes it like a banjo and plays it that way. She uses those funky picking paterns of the banjo.

I also love that sound and like to have her playing next to me as she is a great one with the Chords.
I think she bar chords though.
Corky
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Previous

Return to The Archives