Ritch Kelly Mountain Dulcimer

Discussion threads tucked away for browsing or searching

Ritch Kelly Mountain Dulcimer

Postby AnnD. » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 am

I inherited a Ritch Kelly Appalacian Dulcimer from my father who lived in West Virginia all of his life. Does anyone have information about this craftsman? In the Directory of Comtemporary American Musical Instrument Makers (1981), I learned that he resided in Jefferson, MD, and had a company called Dromedary Musical Instruments. He apparently created Appalachian dulcimers, steel-string guitars, drums and string instruments.

My dulcimer is a beautiful piece. It has a carved frog on the top made out of sitka spruce. The remainder is made of mahogany from Hondoras. There are sound holes in the shape of a leaping frog. This dulcimer is quite unique. I wonder if it is of value and would really like to know more about Mr. Kelly. My father worked in Frederick, MD, in 1966-1967. I am thinking that perhaps he bought the instrument while he worked there.

I'd appreciate any information that anyone can provide.

Sincerely, AnnD.
AnnD.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Re: Ritch Kelly Mountain Dulcimer

Postby kwl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Ann, I have a short article on Ritch Kelly from back in the late 1970s or early 1981s. I scanned it for another member of ED. I can send it to you by email if you would like me to.

Ken
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
kwl
Dulcified! (>2000 posts)

Re: Ritch Kelly Mountain Dulcimer

Postby AnnD. » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Ken, I would appreciate having the article which you mentioned. Please send to homestretch207@yahoo.com. Thank you. AnnD.
AnnD.
Junior Mbr (0-50 posts)

Return to The Archives